Monday, May 07, 2007

Battle of the 80's Crimefighters, Round Four

Only six shows left. Which ones will prevail??

Magnum, P.I. vs. MacGyver

Two of the longest-lasting 80's crimefighter series square off. Both series were brilliant when at the top of their game, with above-average stories and top-shelf production values for episodic television. Both series were also widely considered to have stuck around at least one season too long, but the similarities pretty much ended there. Magnum, P.I. was a huge hit on CBS for most of its eight-season run while MacGyver limped along with middling ratings for seven seasons on ABC, getting picked up a half season at a time but always delivering when the heat was on much like the series' title character always did.

In a way, this isn't a fair fight because I've had a great deal more exposure to MacGyver than to Magnum, P.I. I've probably only watched half of Magnum's episodes and haven't see it at all in a few years. Nonetheless, the series was always hit-or-miss. Granted, this was the case for most 80's crimefighter series, but it seemed to be even more of an issue for Magnum, P.I., which frequently plunged into maudlin melodrama, particularly in its final two or three seasons. MacGyver certainly had some howler episodes as well, but they were less frequent and rarely as dreary as Magnum's weakest, which more often resembled Fantasy Island reruns than adrenaline-pumping action. While both series are deserving of accolades, MacGyver runs away with this one.

Round One goes to MacGyver

Hardcastle and McCormick vs. The Fall Guy

These were my favorite and second-favorite shows in my early elementary years. I'll probably better poised to opine on which series holds up in another six months, as I plan to purchase DVD sets for both in the very near future. I'm really going into Hardcastle and McCormick cold, having not seen it since I was 11 back in 1989. I have seen a dozen or so Fall Guy reruns in the last 10 years, and they've generated a decidedly mixed response for me.

Alas, in the interest of finishing this tournament in the next couple of weeks, I have to choose one, so here are my thoughts. The Fall Guy was the more ambitious show, with its international settings and elaborate stuntwork, but suffered for its dopey attempts at comedy and bad overall acting. Hardcastle and McCormick would have never carved out its own identity as a crime drama/action series if not for the chemistry of its dynamic duo, but that chemistry offered more memorable moments of television than the cool stunts and elaborately choreographed chase sequences on The Fall Guy. Again, this is a crap shoot given how much I loved both series as a boy, but my gut says that I will probably get more enjoyment, and cringe less often, when viewing my Hardcastle and McCormick DVD's than I will when watching The Fall Guy DVD's.

Round Two goes to Hardcastle and McCormick.

Miami Vice vs. Crime Story

Once again, two Michael Mann shows face off against one another, but the two series are about as different as two series can get stylistically. Miami Vice became a hit based on its flashy visuals and its ultra-contemporary tone, drawing the hippest guest stars wearing the swankiest fashions. Crime Story was never a hit and its imagery was cold and dark (even when the setting changed from the mean streets of Chicago to the glossy streets of Las Vegas), set in the early 1960s rather than the glamorous mid-1980s.

Which series was better? If judging by longevity, Miami Vice's five seasons is much more impressive than Crime Story's two seasons, but as I stated in last round's review, MV was beset by countless strategic gaffes over the course of those five seasons which very clearly tainted that series' legacy. Hard to say whether Crime Story would have held out better than MV had it lasted five seasons, but since it went two strong seasons, I have to give CS the edge. It's not really a slam-dunk as both series sparkled at their best and since Crime Story had its share of cheesy moments as well (Luca surviving a direct hit over ground zero of an atomic bomb testing site in Nevada?!?!?!?) but the number of howlers Miami Vice churned out, particularly in those last two seasons, does more to overshadow that series' great moments that CS's weaknesses overshadow its.

Round Three goes to Crime Story.

It's down to the final three shows for Round Five.

MacGyver draws a bye.
Hardcastle and McCormick vs. Crime Story.

I'll finish things off next week.

1 Comments:

Blogger Cheri said...

I'm telling you, Hardcastle and McCormick rocks! You won't be disappointed when you finally get the DVDs, and I think the ex-judge/ex-con combo have at least one more winning round in 'em. :-)

1:33 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home