Thursday, March 20, 2008

He's Finished

I've been up to my neck at work and was only able to hear snippets of Obama's big speech on Tuesday. As everyone has said, the speech was fantastic, but will it be effective in regaining the momentum that Obama lost after the Reverend Wright comments were made public? I seriously doubt it. For all of Obama's efforts to stay above it, Reverend Wright did what the Clintons were not able to do to him. They turned him into "the black candidate". They turned him into a hybrid of Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton. And by giving this speech, which in many ways was necessary, he has fed the narrative that he's now the candidate whose campaign is all about race. Despite the fawning reviews by his cheerleaders on cable news, I can't see how the "waitress grandmas" in Ohio and Pennsylvania, who insist they'll vote for John McCain if Obama gets the nomination, will be persuaded by anything Obama said....or anything he might say from this day forward. They may in fact be more disconnected from Obama after the speech, distancing themselves from the rhetorical parallel of Wright's words with those of the stereotypical "crazy uncle at Thanksgiving dinner" who makes a throwaway racial epithet. Through little fault of his own, Obama's ability to persuade Hillary's voters to his side is likely gone forever.....and I knew this would happen if Obama became the nominee.

The conventional wisdom remains that, in the words of Dick Morris, "this thing is over". Superdelegates will never dare overturn the will of the people and hand the nomination to Hillary. I'm not nearly as sure of that as I was even three days ago. I suspect Obama will continue to lose ground, despite media proclamations of his inevitable resurgence following the speech, and he'll be heading into the convention looking much weaker against McCain than Hillary does. I would give Hillary at least a 50% chance of winning the nomination at this point, even though I maintain she'd still do more long-term damage to the Democratic Party than Obama if she was the nominee.

Either way, it seems pretty obvious to me that John McCain will be America's 44th President. The only lingering suspense is what wedge issue Republicans will exploit to convince working people to vote against their interests in the 2012 election.

16 Comments:

Blogger Mr. Phips said...

If this is true, I will have to vote for Ralph Nader in 2008. I cannot stand Hillary Clinton and what she has done to our party. I hope McCain wins in 2008.

11:08 PM  
Blogger Sara said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

10:38 AM  
Blogger James said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

11:37 PM  
Blogger Sara said...

And ensure that I remain unemployed and uninsured, and that my boyfriend remains unemployed and uninsured also, not to mention indebted from school and emergency medical services. If McVain does win, then it seems moving to Brazil will be the only way we can find badly needed work.

My AmeriCorps program back home in California, which I still miss extremely terribly, got canceled due to the state's terrible budget crisis, and has made my already intense hatred of "never raise taxes under any circumstances" Rethuglicans even worse.

4:13 PM  
Blogger James said...

That black nigger obama isn't going to magically give everyone jobs.. he doesn't have a magic wand

10:58 PM  
Blogger Sara said...

Democrats have had better job creation records than Republicans. The numbers don't lie.

And even if Obama is the nominee, he is still far, far, far, FAR preferable to that warmongering Rethug McVain.

11:15 PM  
Blogger James said...

*yawn*, you won't win a debate with words like "Rethug", thanks for playing though.

4:52 AM  
Blogger Sara said...

You won't win by using racial slurs either. And I am not talking to you anymore.

7:40 PM  
Blogger Sara said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

9:17 PM  
Blogger James said...

I am not a big fan of Obama.

9:18 AM  
Blogger Sara said...

Neither am I, but I am also not, and have not been since 2004, a fan of McVain, especially since he has no plan to help us out of the mortgage crisis.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/03/26/us/politics/26mortgage.html

4:26 PM  
Blogger James said...

Just like Democrats had no plan in Iraq for the 2006 elections, and still won!

But it is obvious the economy is much more important then the Iraq War. I want to stay in Iraq, as a moral obligation, but would cut the troops by only 90 percent :).

Now, Sara, you know what I think about the NYTimes. I know McCain has no plan for the housing crisis anyway. Few people do, and the economic stimulus plan is a good start to our economy, but it does not address all issues.

and Remember a lot of people brought this on to themselves. Not neccessarily most, but a lot did. You should purchase a house that is Your annual income + 20% at most.

1:09 PM  
Blogger Sara said...

I'm not mad that the politicians caused this crisis. I am mad that they are doing next to nothing to help get us out of the crisis. They seem like "well, the people brought it onto themselves [which is not necessarily true], so they should pay for it." We elected our politicians for a reason.

And I know there's that stimulus, but I'm not confident it will help us start to get out of the crisis.

5:11 PM  
Blogger Sara said...

And comparing the candidates' stands on the mortgage issue to the parties' stands on Iraq last election is apples and oranges. The R's plan was "stay the course", which went against the majority of voters. The D candidates' stances on the mortgage crisis are NOT wildly unpopular.

5:16 PM  
Blogger James said...

We have lovely conversations on this blog.

11:52 PM  
Blogger Mr. Phips said...

James, shame on you for using that kind of language against Barack Obama. That is completely inappropriate for this blog.

1:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home