Monday, October 23, 2006

The Three Things That Must Happen for Democrats to Win in 15 Days

There are two schools of thought popular amongst political analysts 15 days before the November 7 election. The first is that Democrats are insurgent to the point of expanding the playing field of battleground races and possibly on their way to kind of seismic victory achieved by Republicans in the 1994 midterms. The other school is that the Democrats peaked too early, on the heels of the Mark Foley incident, and have allowed Republicans too much time to regroup and retool their message, holding off the kind of serious challenge the Democrats are currently posing against them and possibly even holding onto their majorities. The reality is probably somewhere in the middle, but I'm increasingly concerned that the latter scenario is closer to correct than the former. This perception is not based so much on hard evidence as much as a stone cold analysis of the horse race and what it will take for Democrats to pull out the kind of landslide they'll need to oust the GOP from the reins of power. Here's the three-item outline I came up with after that analysis:

1) The Democrats need to keep their base motivated and get them out to the polls in droves. If Democratic voters don't turn out in near unanimity (and avoid casting ballots for the 'not-so-bad' Republican incumbent in their home district the way too many usually do), they won't be able to overwhelm the opposition. Now, the conventional wisdom is that the Democratic base is enthused and eager to vote, but the premature declarations of victory from media outlets is not helping on that front, triggering overconfidence among the faithful and perhaps a mindset that it's "not worth standing in the cold and rainy November weather for three hours to cast a ballot when Sherrod Brown has it in the bag anyway".

2) A small percentage of the Republican base has to either stay home or cast a protest vote in favor of Democrats on November 7. I've never been sold on the argument that Republican voters, in numbers of any significance, are too disillusioned to vote this fall. Even if it is true now, the Republican Party's massive financial warchest will be able to spend the next two weeks convincing them otherwise. Beyond that, the Republicans' finely-tuned GOTV apparatus will personally hold their apathetic neighbors/parishioners feet to the fire to make sure they vote. There is probably some merit to the hopes that some disenchanted Republicans will vote Democratic this year, but it's not exactly good news for the Democrats that their ability to survive as a party is dependent upon hard-core Republicans changing their minds. The bottom line is that the GOP base is larger than the Democratic base, so they almost have to have dissent within their ranks in order for us to win even at full turnout from our base.

3) Independent voters have to show up at the polls...and then vote Democratic by overwhelming majorities. With the unhelpful media rhetoric about a "Category 5 storm" for the Democrats, it's probably less likely that enough Democratic-leaning independents will show up to vote because this demographic is the softest group of voters and is disgruntled with both parties to where rewarding the Democratic Party may not be the message they choose to send on election day, particularly if they think their vote will be but a single shout in a chorus anyway, as the media would like for them to believe.

A common denominator hamstringing Democrats in these final two weeks of the campaign is the artificially optimistic expectations being set for them by the media, particularly in some badly-manipulated polls released of late that oversample Democrats by as much as 24 points (as was the case with Newsweek's recent poll). The Democrats have not led in voter affiliation by 24 points in decades. Any poll that samples self-identified Democrats by more than three or four points is worse than merely an erroneous outlier, it's an offering of ammunition to the opposition party who will be glad to use it 16 days from now to declare the Democratic party officially dead if it fails to win back at least one House of Congress.

Consider this: even in the GOP landslide of 1994, the Republican generic ballot advantage was only nine points. Last week's NBC/WSJ poll would have us believe that today, in the ugly polarized political environment of 2006 that didn't exist 12 years ago, the Democratic party has a generic ballot advantage of 15 points. If the Dems were to win a generic ballot victory of 15 points, at least 75 House seats would swing. Even the sunniest optimists and media storyline hunters don't expect that to happen. The only way such an erroneous generic ballot advantage number can be attained if through manipulation of poll data, specifically stacking the poll with disproportionate numbers of Democrats. Newsweek and NBC may think they're doing the Dems a favor by showing this groundswell of Democratic "momentum", my theory is that each of the three cited groups will respond unfavorably to the wishes of Democratic Party operatives upon hearing such data. Overconfident Democrats grow irrationally cocky, frightened Republicans get off of their butts and become more organized, and independents roll over on the couch and turn the TV to Grey's Anatomy.

The element of surprise is lost. Democrats no longer have the opportunity to sneak up on the GOP as Republicans snuck up on Democrats in 1994. I'd much rather have let that sleeping dog lie than have it scared into action. Unfortunately, my gut tells me the GOP pit bull is awakening and starting to growl, perhaps snatching some of that Democratic momentum from a week ago. It's gonna be hard to keep that pit bull from biting us for 15 more days.

10 Comments:

Blogger Mark said...

I am rallying the troops within the office where I work, but I work in a nonpartisan political job and have to be very careful in my public political activities to avoid depicting myself as a "partisan mole". I did, however, return home to Minnesota last weekend and did some phone banking work for area Democratic candidates. I also got to see progressive comedian and former Texas state official Jim Hightower, who was travelling the district this weekend with MN-01's DFL challenger Tim Walz. Both were absolutely fantastic, and Walz's contagious charisma reminds me very much of another political uber-underdog that nobody thought had a prayer of slaying the incumbent dragon back in 1990. His name was Paul Wellstone. Anyone who was on the fence and has the opportunity to see Walz in person would move immediately to Walz's corner.

And I stand by my predictions from last week regarding the Dems picking up 20 House races. I may have been overly optimistic on some (FL-13, OH-01) and overly pessimistic on others (MN-06, NC-11), but by and large I feel the same way about the individual races as I did last weekend. Nonetheless, I think it's at your own peril that you underestimate the GOP's ability to close this deal at the end of the day. I assure you that it's closer than what national polls are saying, as I tried to outline in my final two paragraphs in regards to the oversampling of Democrats. I definitely feel as though news like that, particularly when it's not true, ultimately works to our disadvantage.

10:25 PM  
Blogger Mark said...

sean, I didn't make predictions for the House in 2002 or 2004 because I didn't consider the body to be seriously up-for-grabs either time. I did make Senate predictions, however, and they were as follows for the battleground races.

2002 Correct Predictions--Arkansas (Mark Pryor), Georgia (Saxby Chambliss), Minnesota (Norm Coleman), Missouri (Jim Talent), New Jersey (Frank Lautenberg), North Carolina (Elizabeth Dole), Oregon (Gordon Smith), South Dakota (Tim Johnson), and Texas (Jon Cornyn).

2002 Incorrect Predictions--Colorado (Tom Strickland), New Hampshire (Jean Shaheen)


2004 Correct Predictions--Florida (Mel Martinez), Kentucky (Jim Bunning), Louisiana (David Vitter, although I predict he wouldn't win until the December runoff), North Carolina (Richard Burr), Oklahoma (Tom Coburn), South Carolina (Jim DeMint), and South Dakota (John Thune)

2004 Incorrect Predictions--Alaska (Tony Knowles) and Colorado (Pete Coors)

3:26 PM  
Blogger Sara said...

Of course I didn't fall for the media's "artificially high" expectations for us, and I am keeping watch on everyone. I keep telling my liberal/Democratic friends, "Do not underestimate the Republicans' turnout this year. Get out the vote. Repeat, GET OUT THE VOTE!"

I haven't had time for phonebanking or canvassing, which wouldn't be useful anyway since my district TX-26 is not competitive; neither is the Senate race or the Governor race. I did donate to Phil Angelides and Nick Lampson, though.

Early voting has started here in the Lone Star State, and I already cast my ballot! I'm gonna be staying up very late on November 7.

4:46 PM  
Blogger Mark said...

I'm leaving work early on election day so I'm home in time for the first polls to close in Indiana and Kentucky, and I took the day after the election off. I fully expect to be up all night and sleep a few hours during the day when all the outcomes have already been determined. After that, I return to work for one day and then get a three-day weekend over Veteran's Day where I will obsessively digest the election returns state by state, county by county. For me, the fun only just begins on election night.

In 2004, I stayed up all night to follow election returns and had to go in early to work (I worked at a newspaper then) to report on local election winners. Thankfully, I got to leave at noon and was able to crash in bed just before Bush gave his official victory speech. I was expecting to be out for a couple hours since I generally don't sleep well in the daytime, but by the time I finally came around it was 7:40 at night.

Hopefully, I'm able to get to bed right around daybreak on Wednesday morning and wake up around noon, with final declarations of victory for some Democrats in tight races having been called in favor of the good guys.

6:21 PM  
Blogger Mark said...

sean, the polls close in Kentucky at 6 p.m. eastern. Indiana is having some concerns about its split time zones affecting turnout, so they may not officially close until 7 p.m., but historically their polls have always closed at 6 p.m. eastern along with Kentucky. I pontificated on the same scenario you just did awhile back. It's great that we have four top-tier House races (IN-02, IN-08, IN-09 and KY-04) closing early. If we know within an hour that three out of four Democrats are either winning those races or poised to win, we're probably on our way. If Brad Ellsworth is running behind or deadlocked with John Hostettler with 70% of the vote in, put away the champagne and break out the Jack Daniels!

At 7 p.m. eastern, several more states close with potentially close races to keep our eyes open for. There's Vermont (Welch vs. Rainville), New Hampshire (Bass vs. Hodes), Georgia (Marshall vs. Collins, Barrow vs. Burns), South Carolina (Spratt vs. Norman), and Florida, where there are a handful of battlegrounds to watch. And the granddaddy of the 7 p.m. poll closing states in Virginia, where the vote seems to come in fast and furious in most elections and where the Allen vs. Webb race could be a telltale indicator of how big of a wave the Dems may or may not be riding.

The big prize of this cycle, the state of Ohio, closes at 7:30 eastern time. If we're not scoring some solid wins by then, it won't be happening at all. I'd sure hate to be facing the 10 p.m. hour in 2006 with the level of disillusionment I did in 2002 and 2004.

7:38 PM  
Blogger Sara said...

I'm going to be up even later. Polls in California close at 8 PM Pacific Time (10 PM here; 11 PM on the East Coast) and since it's such a big state with some fun races to watch, I probably won't be hitting the sack until 3 or 4 AM.

On Election Night 2005, I went to bed at 2 AM and still not every precinct in California had reported. (Every prop was failing but some were perilously close.) Of course I woke up the next morning thrilled at the eventual results.

I've been telling myself if this election will parallel 2004 (when I entered the election optimistic about our chances only to end up majorly disappointed in the end) or 2005 (when I entered the special election worried about some of the props passing only to end up thrilled when they all failed). My emotions have been on a roller coaster all throughout 2006, from optimistic to worried and back again. I am cautiously optimistic about the House, less optimistic on the Senate, very worried on the California Governor and other statewide races, and somewhat worried about the long list of props on the ballot this year (unlike last year, there are some props I definitely want to see pass (84, 87, 89) and some I definitely do not want to see pass (83, 85, 90); I do not want to see 86 or 88 pass either).

8:16 PM  
Blogger Mark said...

Sean, agreed on KY-03. That could conceivably be a more likely victory for us in Kentucky than Lucas in the crimson red KY-04. Also keep on eye on KY-02. There's virtually no chance that Democrat Mike Weaver will win, but if he's holding Ron Lewis to 55% or less, it's a very good sign.

I don't believe you're right that Kerry was trailing in Ohio 14 days before the election. He actually held a modest lead in Ohio right up until the final weekend, when Bush began averaging a 1-3 point lead in a number of Ohio polls. I'm still pessimistic about the Ohio tidal wave panning out as planned. It's starting to look like Sherrod Brown will win OH, but money is the race tightening as we approach the finish line just as the Dems lost steam in Ohio in the closing hours in 2004.

sara, there would be some advantages to living in the Pacific Time Zone on election night as you would know some of the national trendlines before the sun sets, and probably know which party will control Congress by 9 p.m. But won't you be tracking the election returns from Texas this year?

9:04 PM  
Blogger Sara said...

Yes I will be watching the Texas results as well. There are just not as many fun races here (save the governor, the 17th and the 22nd district races) as there are in California. And I plan to return to California next year (regardless of who's governor).

9:25 PM  
Blogger Sara said...

Hey, Tom and James asked me to tell everyone about the community site associated with Tom's new blog. Anyone can sign up to post political commentary, news, rants, etc. James and I have already posted the profiles of Missouri, Arkansas, California, and Texas, and are now working on their statewide races.

http://community.electionprediction.us

12:20 AM  
Blogger jamespol said...

Mark,

I really love my boyfriend, Richard! I am in such a committed relationship with him, he is so loveable.

2:30 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home